Condominium corporations may hire a licensed condominium management provider for a variety of services. Condominium Management Services is defined under the Condominium Management Services Act, 2015, as:
- Collecting or holding contributions to the common expenses or other amounts levied by, or payable to, the corporation.
- Exercising delegated powers and duties of the corporation or its board of directors, including,
- making payments to third parties on behalf of the corporation,
- negotiating or entering into contracts on behalf of the corporation, or
- supervising employees or contractors hired or engaged by the corporation,
For more information about condominium management services, please refer to our guide, Do I Need a Licence? Interpreting the Definition of Providing Condominium Management Services. The guide offers a more detailed list of examples and differentiates between management and administrative activities.
Some common examples of a condominium manager's responsibilities may include:
- collecting common expense fees
- keeping records for the condominium corporation
- responding to owner complaints
- ensuring maintenance and repair of the property
- hiring and monitoring service companies, and overseeing staff and contractors
- preparing draft annual budgets and overseeing the reserve fund
- implementing an emergency management plan and responding to emergencies
- preparing status certificates
- issuing meeting notices and reporting on the affairs of the corporation
- organizing board meetings and overseeing administration of all owners' meetings
- monitoring the corporation’s insurance
- preparing financial reports and arranging for audits
- advising the board of directors on compliance with the Condominium Act, 1998
- advising the board on its financial responsibilities (e.g., contributions to the reserve fund, long-term reserve fund planning)
For more information about condominium management services, please refer to our guide, Do I Need a Licence? Interpreting the Definition of Providing Condominium Management Services.